Friday, March 29, 2013

Intentionally building stronger relationships with my students and collegues

As I experience the daily accomplishments and struggles in my classroom, I realize that behind any successful classroom, there must be a large dosage of intention. Our schools and classrooms are filled with what I call "moving parts" and assets, most of the parts being student and colleague relationships. Recently, I've tried to push myself to make an effort to tend to all of those parts more effectively and constantly by intending to build stronger relationships and meet with students and colleagues on a regular basis to chat or discuss what is going on in their lives.

If I look back, even as far back as two or three weeks ago, some of the relationships in my classroom and those with colleagues had at times lost priority, and left me feeling like I was always in a rush to move to the next thing in my day. At times, I had noticed that I wasn't able to get to everyone during the day. Of course, each of my students is extremely important to me, and I am feverishly looking out for their needs on an individual basis, but I still felt like I was missing something with a few of them.

So, I intentionally refocused my viewpoint on a smaller, more focused level, and the classroom seems to have shrunk in size. I've started to meet with my students and have a meaningful talk (briefly) about what is important to them, and discuss their daily lives. This is something I've always done, but know it seems to be at a different level. I've started meeting them at random points of the day, morning, transition times, in the hallway going to lunch, or before recess. I've found that by taking the time and looking at each student as an asset of our classroom, my relationships with my students, both academically and socially, has become more engaging. This has also opened my eyes up to more insightful discussions with many of them. You can find out a lot in matter of minutes! I've created time to have them talk more with each other as well, to assist with their relationship building processes.

I am also continually working on this with my colleagues as well and continue to make an effort to have meaningful conversations that will build on the strong relationships we already have.

As I was reading in my devotional book this morning, this quote popped out at me and seemed to fit what I'm feeling:

        "What we "see" as teachers has more to do with inner vision than physical eyesight. Choose to see those things that bring happiness to your heart."

    " A happy hear makes the face cheerful." Proverbs 15:13

1 comment:

Jen Pfeffer-Dittes said...

Loved, loved, loved this entry, Mike! It brings to light so much of what we teachers forget, that it's the connections with our kids and colleagues that make our job so wonderful. And valuing them for their contributions and/or possible contributions is so important to helping us see them in a different light. Keep up with the "intention" idea of pursuing this...only better things will reveal themselves!

Total Pageviews