Thursday, April 25, 2013

BIG ROCKS

I first heard of the BIG ROCK theme a few years back while I was reading through my daily devotional. The quote that followed after the reading was "The greatest possession you have is the 24 hours directly in front of you (...for He has appointed a time for every matter and for every work. Ecclesiastes 3:17). 

At that time, it struck me as something that made total sense. I mean, why shouldn't we look at our life's priorities and fit them into their places early, and build around them. This idea can be compared to its opposite, of becoming consumed with the small speed bumps that can take up our time fast. When it was reiterated during class,  it made me think about what "my" personal, work and life ROCKS truly are. 

As I identified them, I realized that my personality drives me to say "yes" very quickly, and to take various tasks on without truly thinking about how each task will affect my time in one shape or another. I've learned that it is difficult to re-tract a commitment after you've already committed. At times I find myself stretched out too wide and too thin. 

Another realization is that I don't really have a ROCK specifically set aside for me and my time. I guess it can come off as being selfish to want time for yourself to recoup and relax, but I'd like to give myself a break every once and a while. I need to take advantage of the time that I do get, in whatever shape or form it comes in. 

Another reading piece that has helped me to determine whether or not one of my ROCKS should be a priority is another entry from my devotional (God's Little Devotional Book, for Teachers, Honor Books 1999).

       "A speaker was once invited to address a community dinner in an effort to cheer up the people of the town as they faced difficult economic situations. As part of her presentation, she took a large piece of white paper and made a black dot in the center of it. Then she held up and asked the audience, "What do you see?"

One person quickly replied, "A black dot." Others nodded in agreement. 

"Don't you see anything besides the dot?" she asked. 

"No" came the resounding response from the audience. 

The speaker continued, "The most important thing has been overlooked! No one notices the sheet of paper!"

    She then said, "In our business, family, personal, and social lives, we are often distracted by small, dot-like failures and disappointments  There is a tendency to focus on them and to forget the wonderful things around us. The blessings, successes, and joys are far more important than the little black dots that monopolize our attention and energies. Focus on the potential and the goodness all around your problems, and you will become strong and grow."

     -From Glenn Van Ekeren (1998) Words for All Occasions, p. 60-61

By thinking in this way, I feel that I can better identify what I should truly be spending my time on. 







No comments:

Total Pageviews