Monday, May 27, 2013

5 Best Practices in Reading-Best Practices in Reading-Zemelman and Hyde-Chapter 2

While reading this chapter, I realized soon that it hit very close to home.  There were many great ideas pertaining to my first grade classroom. As I read, I was happy to hear that many of the strategies and practices mentioned, I consciously and unconsciously implelenent.The list of ideas consumed 2 pages, so I will choose 5 of the ones I am most anxious to embed into my literacy program.

1. Spiral Bound Notebooks for Small Groups: I would like each student to have a spiral bound notebook to jot down ideas and notes pertaining specifically to them in regards to reading. They could put down spelling words, vocab, or other information.

2. Prioritize my phonetic time and recognize which students need it most. If students are still struggling during the second half of the school year, continue to meet and intervene during small groups. I want to try to use a more meaningful and rich method that will give students an opportunity to continue to build their phonetic skills through literature.

3. Focus more on Heterogeneous and Homogeneous groupings. I would like to develop when and where to split my kids up.

4. Incorporate more Reflective opportunities for my students.

5. Work towards literacy circles.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It is interesting to read all the different ideas people took away from this article. It was nice to read and reflect upon what we did well this year and what we want to keep doing. I also wanted to build phonics skills with some of my kids this year. Natalie showed me a program called Words Their Way. There are 5-6 books that give word lists and lessons for each pattern. It is a great differentiation tool and easy to implement for students at different levels. I know Natalie found books that matched the pattern but I just had my kids find words in their choice books. I will definitely use it again next year and I just wanted to pass along another resource. :)

Unknown said...

Courtney,

Thank you for your comment. I have also hear of the "Words Your Way" program and am interested in finding more about it. I will see if Natalie has an example or two to pass along.

I assume that the words correlate along with the books?

Total Pageviews