Sunday, May 19, 2013

The 5 to 2 Instructional Strategy

I've been using a new instructional strategy in my classroom over the past couple of weeks that is labeled " The 5 to 2." With this strategy, the is idea revolves around lessening the amount of your talking time as a teacher and  open up the door for more conversation amongst your students. I know that I, at times, can tend to use my role as a teacher to talk too much at times in front of my class, and with this strategy, I've been able to keep my verbal lessons down to 5 minute chucks at a time. After the 5 minutes are up, the students then have 2 minutes to share or teach the new information to a classmate or group.  It is very comparable to a " think, pair, share" set up. 


Overall, it has been best I'm implemented during our reading or math blocks. The students have used whiteboards, actions, or small presentations to review the 5 minute discussion by me.   The strategy is effective, because it allows the student not only to be a listener, but also a facilitator and teacher. Their retention rate for information has shown an increase, and it allows them time to move and collaborate with their peers. I am sure there are many other benefits that will come out of this learning strategy and I am encouraged to continue to try it out in new settings.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't been able to try this since I'm out on maternity leave for the remainder of the school year, but I look forward to trying this strategy next year! The one I found was 10 to 2 with the same concept, except students would listen to a lecture for 10 minutes then converse for 2 minutes. Since I teach junior high the timing might work out better.

Did you find that your students were able to come back from the discussion time or did they need more redirecting?

--Maggie

Nikki Perius said...

Hi Mike! This is a great strategy. I would like to start using it during math. I tend to talk longer then I should at times. Did you explain the time situation to your kids? Did they know that if they listened attentively, they would get 2 minutes to interact with each other? If you did fill them in, did you use a timer? I think that my kids would love being involved in this strategy. I would like to use a timer, but I worry that they would think too much about the time instead of the concept that is being taught. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Thanks for commenting!

First, as far as getting them back on track after discussion, I use what I call a "whisper count down" from 5. My hand goes in the air and I count back (quietly). I found it really important to whisper, because my students respond better to my quiet voice than my loud one! The students know that when we get to 1 it's time to come back together. At times, the students don't need all 2 minutes. It really depends on the way the discussion is going.

So far, they have been really respectful of the fact that the 2 minutes is a time for discussion rather that a time to sit back and talk about anything. We do a lot of role playing about how the discussion should look, and what the content should be about. I also always pose a question to be answered during the discussion. It can be open ended or used to guide us somewhere else in the lesson.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Unknown said...

Mike,
Thanks for sharing this great strategy! One thing I've done this year that sounds similar has to do with "Whole Brain Teaching" and their concept of "teach, okay." I was noticing that, even if I'd keep my lessons short (8-10 minutes) I didn't always have full engagement. This video gives a great "tutorial" of how to implement and use "teach, okay."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcZJ7tozYl0

I could see using this strategy along with 5 to 2 as a way to keep students fully engaged and able to have meaningful conversations during that 2 minutes! Thanks again for sharing!

Unknown said...

Mike,
Thanks for sharing this great strategy! One thing I've done this year that sounds similar has to do with "Whole Brain Teaching" and their concept of "teach, okay." I was noticing that, even if I'd keep my lessons short (8-10 minutes) I didn't always have full engagement. This video gives a great "tutorial" of how to implement and use "teach, okay."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcZJ7tozYl0

I could see using this strategy along with 5 to 2 as a way to keep students fully engaged and able to have meaningful conversations during that 2 minutes! Thanks again for sharing!

Unknown said...

Mike,

Thanks for sharing this great strategy! One thing I've done this year that sounds similar has to do with "Whole Brain Teaching" and their concept of "teach, okay." I was noticing that, even if I'd keep my lessons short (8-10 minutes) I didn't always have full engagement. This video gives a great "tutorial" of how to implement and use "teach, okay."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcZJ7tozYl0

I could see using this strategy along with 5 to 2 as a way to keep students fully engaged and able to have meaningful conversations during that 2 minutes! Thanks again for sharing!

Total Pageviews