Friday, June 14, 2013

AGAPE: IDEA

The Lasaillian Concepts of Association, Generativity and Adaptation have truly been trans-formative to the way I approach my classroom now. Whether it be the way I'm thinking about my classroom, students, learning plans, spiritual approach or intention, I am continually thinking of my classroom as a "living" organism (which I've mentioned earlier in posts.)  This living organism concept has worked for me, because living organisms are constantly changing and growing, as is a classroom.

In the area of instruction, I have continued to be mindful of our early readings and discussions regarding play and community. We start each morning off with a Morning Meeting routine, to allow for sharing and greetings. The UbD is another concept has been a new concept that I continue to grow with in terms of instruction. It's benefits are very clear and it has allowed me and my classroom to be more creative, engaging, effective and efficient. During the school year, I've incorporated the idea of Mind Mapping which has added another aspect on creative thinking. I've also enjoyed using many new instructional strategies during my instruction.

In the area of discipline, the most significant change has revolved around my action research project based off of oral reading fluency. This research process has opened a new lens on the possibilities in the area of early childhood literacy that is very enticing. I am anxious to continue to implement and incorporate new best practice methods in my future classroom. Through Kidblog entries, I've also noted a few other instructional areas that I would like to think more deeply about and research possible interventions.

My classroom environment has been an area that I have enjoyed playing around with over the course of the year. The possibilities seem endless when thinking about engaging classrooms. The article "Look Before You Leap," had many strategies to keep in the forefront as I become a more constructive teacher. I plan on applying the "less is more" concept to the environment I create and want to make the classroom ownership my students rather than thinking it needs to be mine.

The area of assessment continues to be guided by formative and summative assessments that drive my UbD unit planning. As with my instruction, thinking of the assessments and essential understandings first, allows the educational environment and learning plans to become more meaningful, focused, effective, efficient, and engaging.



No comments:

Total Pageviews