Friday, June 14, 2013

Attention

This article was so reassuring to read. I have so many great pieces to discuss and use, it would take a while to get it all down! I've decided to choose the most influential to me for discussion.

1. Prioritize your life, get to the core of what’s important to you, and simplify things.(p.33)
It sounds easy to do, but I struggle to put it into practice. As Houston and Sokolow state, the there are so many distractions in the world that it is hard to sift through what is important and what isn't. I continue to work towards simplification and minimalism.

2. There’s a call for urgency and a call for what’s important. (p.23)
Another great reminder. I feel this most in my classroom as I find myself making what seems like a hundred decisions a second some days! With my students, anything can seem like it needs attention right now, but in all reality, I think it’s important to sit back, address the situation and allow the students to do some problem solving on their own. In regards to new ideas and projects that come forth throughout the year, I need to analyze how the idea should be use, why it’s important and how it will benefit my kids before I use it.

3. Pay more attention to your thoughts and how they shape you. (p.21) Your thoughts set up an energy field, and that field tends to attract like-minded energy.
You are what you think!

4. Attention , in part is an effort to be attentive to what’s happening around you, by being grounded to what’s happening around you, and by being grounded in who you are.

I believe it’s important to be a part of your surroundings. I can lack effort or attention at times with things that I don’t find important, but what others might enjoy. I find myself stuck in my own thoughts and need to continue to find a way to focus on the foreground and the background more effectively.

No comments:

Total Pageviews