Sunday, October 13, 2013

AR Blog Entry

How will interactive journal writing influence student mathematical achievement In first grade?

The question guiding my research is as follows: How will multiple interactive journal writing experiences, influence student mathematical achievement in first grade? A review of literature suggested several benefits to journal writing during math class. First, journal writing allows students to convey their understanding of math concepts through pictures and words. Second, journal writing enhances the communication of ideas. Third, journal writing promotes the correct use of mathematical vocabulary. Finally, by having students writing more often, teachers have a better understanding of student knowledge. As a result of my literature review, the areas I’ve targeted for change in my practice include 1) 10 minutes of journal writing 3 times per work after a math lesson 2) Prompting questions that allow for picture, word or number responses and 3) interacting with each student’s journal to provide adequate feedback. Skill development for myself has included allowing for more math time to fit in journal time 2) differentiated ability groups for specific guidance on journal questions and 3) multiple modeling sessions to show how to journal effectively.

Throughout the implementation of this action research, I’ve learned that each one of my students is at a different skill level with writing and showing understanding. I have needed to adjust the amount of work required based on student skill level. I have used the journals to show more than just answering questions, I am using them for basic counting assessments from 1 - 120, skip counting, and pre-assessments which can be completed before we start a new concept in class. I have also been contemplating using these journals for conferencing with parents to discuss progress. 

One area I need to continue to be diligent with, is taking the time to get 3 journaling sessions in per week. With the busy schedules and certain math lessons taking longer than others, I’ve had to pick and choose which prompts I can use and which I need to toss. I am also working on getting the journal feedback done promptly.




1 comment:

Brylyn Cowling said...

Hi! My name is Brylyn Cowling. I am an elementary education major at The University of South Alabama. I am commenting on this post as an assignment in Dr. Strange's EDM310 class. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this blog post. Having students make journal entries after a math lesson, or even after reading a story in class seems like a great way for teachers to assess the students' comprehension of the subject matter. Thank you for enlightening me on how useful journal entries can be!

Check out my EDM310 Blog!
EDM310 Class Blog

Total Pageviews