Sunday, October 13, 2013

What impact has UbD made on me?

Looking back at the impact on UnB has had on my thinking, teaching and classroom, it's easy to say it's changed the way I've done things. Naturally, the UbD layout process allows you to have a much better understanding of where you are going with any specific topic. I love that concept of picking your endpoint, or intended understanding, and then cutting a path back to the start to figure out how you are going to get their. I also love that it enables you to be empathetic with what students will be thinking and going through as they are facilitated by you. When you are designing your assessments, and lessons, you can really get down ask yourself, is what I am wanting my students to complete really "practical?" Will they be able to do this? How will they be able to complete what I am wanting? 

In the first grade classroom, there can be many items that don't "fit" in with any curriculum standard or content objective on the surface. But, with the UbD planning process, it is much easier to link and connect these "random"pieces of curriculum under a specific concept or essential understanding. 

For me, UbD is a very unique planning process that enables teachers to be effective, efficient, and meaningful, most often.


My questions about UbD:

When a curriculum has been purchased for a school district, and the curriculum's layout is similar to an UbD layout, does it make sense to re-create your own UbD unit rather that use the resource you have? Or is this curriculum just a "tool" to be coupled with other resources?

As an elementary teacher, I have many lessons I create each week. I understand the overarching ideas and concepts, but how can the elementary teacher utilize UbD in many areas, without spending hours trying to make many UbD units?

No comments:

Total Pageviews