Saturday, November 16, 2013

Presence (Lasallian Concept)

To me, the concept of Presence involves being continually, and willingly able to change and grow personally and professionally for the better. It also means that you are empathetic and accepting with others first, before determining your own pre-conceived notions on others or their ideas. To have Presence, you are willing to take risks and are spiritually healthy with yourself.

In my classroom, it means being unbiased towards individual students and their backgrounds. It means working alongside students to guide them in their educational journey with a willingness to try new approaches to change my  teaching strategies if needed. It requires me to create a class based on togetherness instead of a teacher controlled atmosphere.

Lastly, Presence means looking out for the other person, before yourself. It’s making sure no one is left behind. It means making sure everyone that has an idea and shares, is listened to and respected as an important voice in our classroom.


1 comment:

Kenesha Brown said...

Hello,
My name is KeNesha Brown. I am a student in EDM 310 at the University of South Alabama. You have gave me a new insight on presence. After reading your blog post, presence is something that teachers should exemplify to their students inside and outside the classroom. They must be able to change and grow for the better as you mentioned. If teachers don't teach the student s these type of character building skills, they won't know. Overall, I really enjoyed reading your post. Also, I would like to thank you for sharing such a great perspective.

Total Pageviews