Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Current Progress with Classroom Management Strategies

Over the last few weeks, I've tried to sit back and analyze and implement what I would consider to be more effective strategies to improve classroom management. I think this is an area that is always evolving and there are always was to improve. I've based this implementation plan with the backing of Marzano's-What Works in Schools (Classroom Management). 

The areas that I was focused in were:

Carrying out disciplinary actions- My focus here was to be more accountable with my students when it came down to a disciplinary action to take effect. I'll start by saying that most of my students are pretty accountable when it comes to their own ability to manage their behavior and discourse. My end of the relationship needed to be tightened a bit. The problem: At times, I fail to follow through with a consequence. If the consequence will be applied later in the day, I forget throughout the day and realize later that afternoon after the kids have left that I’d forgotten. The solution: For me, it has worked to write down the consequence and the action taken on a note card. The note card goes onto my computer, where it is visible to me all day. I look at the computer right before students exit to recess and give a quick reminder to the student about their consequence. Honestly to me, I would be in favor of another approach, just because the time between the action and consequence is so great, that the student might have a hard time remebering why they are receiving the consequence the first place.

Establishing and enforcing rules and procedures: I've begun to allow my students to be more accountable with each other. The use of Whole Brain Thinking Strategies has been one way to accomplish this task.

Teacher and student relationships: Problem: My learning goals were not being mentioned throughout our whole group lessons. The solution: I've implemented a timer, every 5 minutes of me talking, we stop and revisit the goal. It is a great accountability check for me.

No comments:

Total Pageviews